Thursday, May 21, 2015

Deaf doctor makes patients feel heard

image from CNN.com video
Dr. Philip Zazove writes, "My clinical years there were hard, because I depend on lipreading. It was especially difficult during rounds where people didn't face me or when I was in an operating room where everyone wore masks. I learned the material by preparing ahead of time and asking many questions after." But not only did Dr. Zazove make it through medical school, he leads a thriving practice today. "A special part of my practice is that I care for many deaf and hard of hearing persons. I understand what they are going through. My research has shown that this community has poorer health, social and educational outcomes. By providing specialized care for them, I try to provide this community with better health care opportunities. Some of my patients drive two or three hours to see me." Read more of his remarkable story at CNN.

No comments: