Sunday, May 22, 2011

Matlin Talks About Tax Bill

Marlee Matlin spoke on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight about reports she is selling her family's home to pay off a $50,000 tax bill. Here's what she had to say:
"One thing I'm glad about is that when I found out that a newspaper decided to poke into my tax issues, and they called me and asked for my response I said, I know what's going on in my life, I know what I'm doing. I know what I'm not able to do at that time. But people somehow thought that I was -- I was surprised by it. No, I've made payment plans. And I announced it before they did. And I was glad to take care of the message... I'm paying for it, and I'm keeping my house. And I'm not losing my house and there's no lien at this point that makes me want to lose the house, but $50,000 certainly is a lot of money, but it's -- compared to a lot of people in the entertainment business, who are in millions of dollars of owing money, it's my business and I chose -- and I'm a proud American who is paying it back and made payment plans... I am paying my taxes, and I am paying my $50,000 back. Don't worry, I'm not going to jail. I'm not losing my house and my kids and my husband are fine."