Monday, March 8, 2010

Woman Saved from Fire

A deaf woman in El Paso, Texas survived a fire at her apartment this past weekend by jumping through a second story window. Cindy Chavarria suffered only a few scratches. Her specially equipped smoke detector alerted her to the fire with a series of flashes. Some 50 firefighters helped to put out the blaze because a fire station is only a block or so away. Nevertheless, it spread so quickly, the building was fully engulfed. Investigators say the fire was an accident that started in a renters kitchen.