Thursday, April 22, 2010
Pope Sued Over Accused
As promised earlier this week, a deaf man from Illinois has filed a lawsuit in Wisconsin against the Pope. The unidentified man says a priest molested him at a Catholic school for the deaf and the Vatican knew about it but did nothing. The lawsuit asks for the release of secret files and the creation of a a system under which the court could monitor its compliance along with unspecified monetary damages. Documents released today in another lawsuit show the Vatican was informed of the situation in 1995, not 1996, as first believed. The accused priest died in 1998. The Vatican is dismissing the lawsuit as a publicity stunt. The Vatican says knew nothing of the crimes until decades later and isn't responsible for the abuse.