Sunday, February 27, 2011

Captioning Complaints

There are several ways to file a captioning complaint about a broadcast. The FCC requests that you submit written complaints directly to your cable or satellite TV service, or the TV station. If you file your complaint with the FCC, the FCC will forward the complaint. Written complaints must be filed within 60 days of the captioning problem. The service will have 30 days to respond to the complaint. If they fail to respond within 30 days, or if the matter is unresolved, you can send your complaint to the FCC. There is an on-line complaint form here. You can also email complaints to the FCC’s Consumer Center at or by fax at 1-866-418-0232. If you wish to write through regular mail, send your complaint to:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

You'll want to include your contact information, the television channel number, call sign, and network, the location of the TV station, the date and time when you experienced the captioning problem, the name of the program or show and a detailed description of the captioning problem.

An FCC fact sheet with more detail is located here.