Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fiolek Out

Deaf motorcyclist Ashley Fiolek will not win a medal at the X Games for a second consecutive year. She dropped out of competition on the advice of her doctors. She's still recovering from a concussion she got in a crash at a Colorado event last month. When she was examined after the concussion, doctor's discovered she had been competing through the pain of a broken pelvis. Fiolek issued a statement that said in part:
"It is with great sadness that I must withdraw from the 2012 ESPN X Games, I am absolutely heartbroken that I will miss this year but I need to do what is right for my health and my future."
The first deaf Moto X rider in history, she has won the Women's Motocross Association national championship twice and earned two X Games gold medals. She appeared on the Conan TV show last week and is a guest star in an upcoming series of episodes of ABC Family's Switched at Birth.